Multilingual Education/Language Friendly School Intern
Application Deadline: September 1, 2021
The Rutu Foundation is seeking a committed, motivated, and proactive intern for a part-time (16 hours/week) Multilingual Education position. We are an award-winning international non-profit based in Amsterdam committed to advocating for multilingual education. As our Multilingual Education Intern, you will focus on our Language Friendly School initiative. You will work directly with our tight-knit staff to write briefs on education policy, create materials and tools for our Language Friendly Schools, and advocate for our policies at various events and meetings.
This is a great opportunity for students and recent graduates to get hands-on experience in both the education and non-profit sphere. You will be working as a key member of our team and will have access to meaningful interactions with experts, policymakers, leaders, and activists in the field. As our Multilingual Education intern, you will have the opportunity to directly impact the education industry and aid in creating a more inclusive world for future generations.
Internship start and end dates are flexible. This is an unpaid internship, but course credit may be arranged.
- Creating materials and tools for our Language Friendly Schools to use in their classrooms
- Researching scientific papers on multilingual education
- Writing briefs on a variety of topics regarding education, multilingualism and language-friendly learning
- Updating and refining existing materials
Preferred knowledge and skills
- Knowledge of, affinity with, and demonstrated interest in multilingual education policy and practice
- Demonstrated skills in writing and research
- Ability to analyze and summarize scientific papers on education
- Familiarity with Microsoft Teams
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, to implement collaborative projects, and think creatively
- Presentation and advocacy skills preferable
- Fluency in English required. Knowledge of other languages, especially Dutch, Spanish and/or German are welcome but not required.
- Graphic design skills and familiarity with Canva are a plus, but not required
- This position is available to master students and third- and fourth-year bachelor students studying Education, Teacher Training, Applied Linguistics, English, Child Studies, or a related field.
- Commitment for 16-25 hours per week for at least three months, flexible start and end dates
About the Language Friendly School Network
The Language Friendly School Network is a Rutu Foundation initiative that encourages linguistic and cultural inclusivity in education. Schools with the Language Friendly label recognize and embrace their students’ multilingualism and take action to give space to these languages within the school community. The Language Friendly School was selected as one of the ten most inspiring innovations in bilingual education in 2020 and was nominated for the European Language Label Award in 2019.
By working with the Language Friendly School, you help create a world where all children have access to a language friendly-learning environment where they feel accepted and valued for who they are.
How to apply
At the Rutu Foundation we are committed to inclusivity in education and in our workspace. Our team is female-led and comes from a diverse range of ethnic, geographic, and linguistic backgrounds. We encourage people of color, members of the LGBTQI+ community, and people with a disability to apply. To apply, please send an email with your CV and a motivation letter to Ellen-Rose Kambel at email@example.com.
For more information about the Language Friendly School network, please visit https://languagefriendlyschool.org/.